Bondi Resort Blog

Come on into our Blog for a look at the wonderful world we've got to share! With over 240 hectares (600 acres) of wilderness woodlands surrounding the resort, just ten minutes from Algonquin Park, we feature over 400 metres (1200’) of waterfront and beach; boat rentals; summer hiking trails winding through fields and woods; 20 km. of groomed cross country ski trails and snowshoeing in winter; access to nearby snowmobile trails for sledders, and a toboggan hill for the young at heart.
www.bondi-village-resort.com

Monday, July 13, 2009

Holly Leaving Pawprints on Our Hearts







HOLLY, who has been the world’s best dog and a mainstay at Bondi since 1993 (born Nov. 2, 1992) left us this evening, with dignity, peace and great sadness.










Congestive heart failure had eroded her quality of life to a level that was unacceptable. While she was still active, and trying her best to take part, at 16 2/3rd years old, with bad eyes, bad ears, wonky hips, when her heart began to fail it was too much to allow to continue.





We thank her for the wonderful years, and great friendships she made, and we thank our guests who knew her over the years for being her friend, and part of her extended pack.

She has gone to do other things, things that dogs do when they leave the earth, for -- like ourselves -- they are spiritual beings with a physical presence here.

“Not the least hard thing to bear when they go from us, these quiet friends, is that they carry away with them so many years of our lives. Yet, if they find warmth therein, who would begrudge them those years that they have so guarded? And whatever they take, be sure they have deserved.”

She is buried beside her best-friend cats, Wompus and Willow, who have gone on ahead of her, and near other Bondi pets that have graced our lives. There is great blessing in sharing our lives with these animal companions, great lessons learned. It is strange to me that it was her heart that failed, for it never failed me, she was forever in her lifetime at my side, and a comfort.








Thank you Holly, for everything.



8 comments:

  1. Oh Nancy,such sad sad news. Your golf cart will be strangely lopsided without your trusty Holly by your side. She will be missed for she was a truly beautiful creature. My condolences to all you Tapleys who must be feeling very sad indeed.
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry for your loss. Although I only met her last year, and I only knew her briefly, I couldn't help but shed a few tears at the news. She was warm and friendly and will me missed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of our long time guests and one of Holly's bestest friends emailed us:

    Dear Nancy,

    My brother just drew my attention to the notice of Holly's death.
    Holly was a dear, dear member of the Bondi family, which is part of
    our extended family. So we feel the loss.

    It's so hard to lose a pet -- especially a Perfect Poodle. Our bond
    with someone like Holly is deeper than our bonds with human people,
    maybe because it is wordless and therefore less in the mind than in
    the heart. And Holly really had heart.

    We will be arriving on Saturday (the other Lodge-ers on Friday). We
    will be thinking of you until then.

    Love,
    David

    ReplyDelete
  4. A poem for Holly

    Remember those days my doggy friend when you would follow me to the earth's end

    Wagging your tail and flapping you ears
    Thinking back now it brings me to tears

    My love for you is fair and true
    You loved me back and I loved you

    Rest your soul friend for one day soon
    I will join you in a place and we can both
    howl at the moon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sorry about Holly. She was a wonderful companion for you and everyone that came to visit. I know she will always have a place in our hearts. May you feel comfort in fond memories.

    Rebecca, James & Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  6. In memory of Holly ....

    My beautiful laughing friend
    If love had the power of keeping one alive
    Then you my friend, would have never died
    You gave so much and asked for so little
    You were always there when I needed a friend
    You and I were never apart and now you're gone
    I am very priviledged to have known such a friend
    The world is a very lonely place without you and I will miss you so much.

    Nancy,
    Holly was a truly wonderful friend, companion, pet. I'm sure your heart is heavy with her loss and I feel for you and your family. Take care.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lesley and the Dalgarno familyAugust 5, 2009 at 9:43 PM

    Nancy, I have just read the sad news as we prepare to come up for our annual family get away. We will all miss Holly so much. Things we'll remember: we loved last summer how you both had pink hair, this past winter when she got stuck in the ditch and she was rescued shivering, Brad carrying her back from a hike a couple of summers ago and his biceps almost burst, how she had the best property to live her glorious life on and how she was always by your side. Oh how we will miss her at Bondi this summer.

    ReplyDelete