Bondi Resort Blog

Come on into our Blog for a look at the wonderful world we've got to share! With over 240 hectares (600 acres) of wilderness woodlands surrounding the resort, just ten minutes from Algonquin Park, we feature over 400 metres (1200’) of waterfront and beach; boat rentals; summer hiking trails winding through fields and woods; 20 km. of groomed cross country ski trails and snowshoeing in winter; access to nearby snowmobile trails for sledders, and a toboggan hill for the young at heart.
www.bondi-village-resort.com

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Caution: Viewer Discretion is Advised

This post comes from Brian, who has been tromping about in the woods lately getting the ski trails ready for winter. Which by the by started to arrive tonight. Readers should be advised that the photo (at the bottom of the post) is not very PRETTY... for reasons that become obvious as you read the post.


"Well here is the story, and I am not kidding... I never kid you guys on things like this.

I was out on the trails this aftenoon clearing off the fallen trees from the late fall storms so that they would be ready to groom when the snow arrives.

Back in the swamp trail, I came around a corner and there in a sunny patch was a big wolf.

We eyed each other for a bit, he looked well fed and I had a chainsaw so having watched the "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" movie I felt I had the upper hand here.

Anyway, I wondered why Mr. Wolf did not want to run away like they usually do. Well a little investigation showed that he was busy eating a dead deer about 30 feet off the side of the trail and I was disturbing his lunch it seemed.

It was (and was is the operative word here) a good size 6 point buck. The rack was about all that was any good to me so the wolf and I did a little negotiating. I pointed out that I had the chainsaw and he agreed to let me have the head with rack if I promised to move on and let him eat the rest of his meal.

I thought this was a good arrangement, so I sawed the head off and brought it home with me and I assume the wolf is full by now and snoozing somewhere.

I had no camera to take pictures of the wolf, but once home I took a picture of the deer head. A bit gnarly but a few months outside in the sun and all the meat should be gone. I'll mount the rack somewhere in the spring I suppose."
To which we add that it seems a waste to just leave the antlers lying in the woods... and keeping in mind that we do co-habit with a pack of Algonquin timber wolves, we do from time to time, find "left-overs" so we are not perhaps as squeamish as some about this.

No comments:

Post a Comment